There are 17 owner complaints spread out over 9 years, but the most belong to the 1996.
This generation ranks 8th in reliability out of 33 overall Mercury generations.
This generation has been recalled 18 times. It's also part of 26 investigations and has 644 TSBs.
- engine intake manifold cracked in the 1996 Cougar at 97000 miles
- cooling system overheats in the 1993 Cougar at 36000 miles
- transmission slipping gears in the 1993 Cougar at 64000 miles
- cooling system radiator fluid blew out of cap in the 1996 Cougar at 92000 miles
- engine engine light is on in the 1996 Cougar at 139900 miles
- engine engine misfires in the 1994 Cougar at 129009 miles