There are 70 owner complaints spread out over 4 years, but the most belong to the 1999.
This generation ranks 28th in reliability out of 33 overall Mercury generations.
This generation has been recalled 20 times. It's also part of 2 investigations and has 443 TSBs.
- electrical altenator keeps failing in the 2000 Cougar at 75540 miles
- transmission transmission failure in the 2002 Cougar at 74000 miles
- engine threw a rod in the 1999 Cougar at 82000 miles
- accessories - exterior sunroof frame broke in the 2000 Cougar at 30000 miles
- steering steering rack failed in the 1999 Cougar at 28000 miles
- lights headlamps are unavailable, on national back order in the 1999 Cougar at 69000 miles